This sweet Sri Lankan Aluwa is a must have sweetmeat during Sinhala Tamil new year celebration. It is made of roasted rice flour and sugar syrup.
Simple to make but very delicious. Hope you will enjoy this recipe.
- Roasted white rice flour - 500g
- Sugar - 400g
- Cardamom - 6
- Pepper corn - 5
- Cashew nuts - 15nos
- Water 1 1/2 cup
- Roast the rice flour until fragrant and set aside.
- Dust a rectangular pan with the flour and set aside.
- Dry roast the cardamom and pepper and grind to make powder.Add the ground powder to the rice flour and mix evenly.
- Chop the cashew nuts coarsely and roast until golden. set aside.
- Add the sugar in a pan and add 1 and half cup water and bring to boil.
- Add the roasted cashew nuts into the syrup.
- When the sugar syrup reaches the thread stage add the roasted rice flour and keep stirring.
- When the mixture leaves the pan remove from the heat and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Flatten the mixture evenly on top and sprinkle some rice flour on top of it.
- Leave to set for 4 hours and cut into diamonds.